Salsa in the Park Is Over For Now...But Stay Tuned For More Salsa In The Community Coming Soon!
UPDATE: Salsa In The Park September Series has ended. We are working on bringing you more Community Programming soon. For now, please watch our video and read below to learn more about our favorite summer activity!
WHAT IS SALSA IN THE PARK?
It's summer in Boston. Under the locust trees of the Blackstone Community Center surrounded by basketball games, tight parking spaces, and children playing, the dance floor heats up while the cool breezes blow through the park.
Many salsa & latin dancers in Boston claim SITP as their favorite event of the city, not only for the appeal of dancing outside al aire libre but as a way to give back to the community. Dancers volunteer all summer, donating their time to teach dance lessons to adults and children, set up dance floors, assist with event staffing, maintain a recycling program, and clean up from the festivities until late into the evening.
We emphasize healthy lifestyle choices for the individual and the community, through dancing, healthy food options, and greening our event as much as possible with educational materials and interactive information.
BEHIND THIS FREE OUTDOOR DANCE EVENT, THERE'S AN AMAZING SUMMER YOUTH LEADERSHIP PROGRAM!
This summer, 25+ youth aged 12-25 will have a summer of transformation: becoming leaders in the effort to improve their community, building essential 21st century employment skills, studying and performing dance and music (and learning to share their arts with others), and spending numerous hours with healthy, driven, passionate adult role models.
Salsa in the Park provides the youth with a tangible project to help them hone their skills as they learn to plan, promote and implement successful events. And without the youths' hard work and creativity, Salsa in the Park would never be the amazing event we've all come to love.
WHO MAKES ALL THIS POSSIBLE?
None of this would have been possible if it wasn't for the contributions and help from our sponsors and members of the Boston salsa dance community!
Since the event's inception, MetaMovements has been in collaboration with Boston Dance Alliance, Blackstone Community Center, and Boston Centers For Youth & Families, with financial support from the City of Boston, music by DJ Hernan, and dance floors from SalsaBoston.com.
Youth stipends are provided by the Mayor's Summer Youth Employment Program and ABCD. We are thrilled to announce a new major sponsor this year: Havana Club Salsa!
We are almost 1/4 of the way to raising enough money for the whole summer! We are still seeking sponsors, vendors, donors and volunteers to get us to 100%! We hope you will join us!
DANCE LESSONS AND PERFORMANCES!
- There will be FREE lessons being offered at two different times taught by MetaMovements staff.
- Lessons for all levels on all floors: 6-6:30pm pm.
- Then, party and dance to the best salsa music from 6:30-9pm with DJ Hernan and fantastic guests!
- A great mix of classic and new salsa - and a little bachata too!
- Additional lessons for Beginners on the back floors start at 7:15pm (party continues on the main floor).
- Also, you won't want to miss the performances at 8:15pm
A PARK WITH A DANCE FLOOR!
We take over the patio in front of the Blackstone Community Center, and it fills with 300-500 salsa-lovers each week! There will be 2-3 dance floors available so there will be plenty of place to dance under the stars. Dance floors are provided by SalsaBoston.com. In case of rain, we move inside the community center.
MUSIC CORNER WITH LOTS OF INSTRUMENTS!
Come join our Musicians' Corner, and JAM to the music! Bring your own instruments, or play with dozens of instruments for everyone to have fun! Congas, Maracas, Claves, Bongos, and many many more.
Salsa in the Park is located in the Blackstone Community Center park at the corner of W. Brookline St., and Washington St, Boston (South End).
Look for the community center and the basketball courts, and we will be right next to them! (The fountain is visible from where we are, directly across W Brookline St from us.)
And if it rains, we'll be inside the Blackstone Community Center, right next to the park!
- On-Street parking available. Shawmut Ave. usually has plenty of spaces.
- Orange line to Back Bay, exit Dartmouth Street side (it's about a 10 minute walk). Take a left on Dartmouth and continue, until you cross over Tremont St. and it becomes W. Dedham St, then go right on Shawmut Ave., and left onto W. Brookline St.; walk down and the basketball courts, center & park are on your left.
- Silver Line (Washington St line): Get off at the Newton St. stop. You will be on Washington St. If you were coming from Dudley and towards Boylston, you will continue in the direction the bus is going for one more block, and take a left at W. Brookline; walk down and the basketball courts, center & park are on your right. If you were coming from Boylston and towards Dudley, you will walk back one block, and take a left on W. Brookline as described above.
- Take Bus #1 down Mass Ave. (from Harvard or Central Squares). Get off at Washington St, and take a left (heading towards downtown, away from Roxbury). Continue to W. Brookline St., and take a left; walk down and the basketball courts, center & park are on your right.
How Do I Get Involved?
You can help us make this Salsa In The Park the best yet, and provide many more opportunities for young men & women from to participate in our Summer Job Program:
- Connect to our Facebook Page!
- Join Our Upcoming Fundraiser Event
- Join Our Fantastic Staff of Volunteers
- Send Your Donation Today!
- Buy a "Salsa In The Park" t-shirt
- Enroll as a Registered Vendor and/or Sponsor
Check Our Most Popular Posts Today!
- Salsa in the Park Is Over For Now...But Stay Tuned For More Salsa In The Community Coming Soon!
UPDATE: Salsa In The Park September Series has ended. We are working on bringing you more Community... (Read More...)
- Horton Dance Technique: Take Your Dancing To A Higher Level
Our popular Horton Technique classes return to the Dance Complex on Tuesday nights...with LIVE drumm... (Read More...)
- Project Cuba 2014: A Celebration of Cuban Dance, Music & Culture!
A Program that honors Cuban Culture and its Essential Historical Contributions To the World of Latin... (Read More...)
- Music Programs for Children, Adults & Seniors of All Ages!
Boston Latin Music Program For Children, Adults & Seniors of All Ages - Learn To Play And Have Lots ... (Read More...)
Contact Us Today!